Scholarly Societies Project

Accademia Cosentina


Accademia Cosentina =
Academy of Cosenza
Founding of the Society
Authority / Notes
This date is supported by pp.20 and 35 of de Seta (1965), who indicates on p.53 that it was founded by Aulo Giano Parrasio. The Academy began, like the other academies of the day, as one devoted to philological and literary studies (de Seta (1965), p.61). It was named the Accademia Parrasiana (de Seta (1965), p.65).

On the death of Parrasio in 1534, Bernardino Telesio reorganized the Academy (de Seta (1965), p.62). It was evidently known as the Accademia Telesiana until it was closed in 1544 by the authorities (de Seta (1965), p.100).

A few years before the death of Telesio (which happened in 1588), the Accademia Telesiana was reorganized under the direction of Sertorio Quattromani, and the Academy became known as the Accademia Cosentina (de Seta (1965), p.161). [It is not clear from a reading of de Seta (1965) whether the Academy was in existence from 1544 until this time.]

Around 1593, as a result of the conspirings of Tommaso Campanella, the Accademia Cosentina was closed by decree of the viceroy, Pedro of Toledo (de Seta (1965), p.165). In 1608, however, the Church opened a new Academy, the Accademia dei Costanti under the patronage of Mons. Costanzo. This new Academy was, in effect, the restoration of the Accademia Cosentina, but with the greater part of the members being from the Church. The Accademia dei Costanti continued under the guidance of Costanzo until his death in 1617 (de Seta (1965), p.166); the Academy may have become inactive at this time.

Around 1649, Archbishop Guiseppe Sanfelice founded in Cosenza an Accademia dei Negligenti, which lasted until his death in 1660 (de Seta (1965), p.167).

In 1668 the Accademia dei Costanti became active again under the leadership of the poet Pirro Schettini until his death in 1678 (de Seta (1965), p.167).

In 1756, Gaetano Greco revived the old Academy, changing its name to Accademia dei Pescatori Cratilidi; but this attempt at revival lasted only until 1794 (de Seta (1965), pp.201-202).

In 1811, the Academy was revived through the work of Matteo Galdi, and named the Istituto Cosentino (de Seta (1965), pp.203). In late 1817, the King gave his approval for it to take once again the name Accademia Cosentina (de Seta (1965), pp.204).

Seat of the Society
Authority / Notes
This location is supported by the name of the Academy.
Name of the Society
1511 - 1534? Accademia Parrasiana de Seta (1965), pp.20, 35, 62 & 65.
1534? - 1544? Accademia Telesiana de Seta (1965), pp.62 & 100.
1585? - 1593 Accademia Cosentina de Seta (1965), pp.161 & 165.
1608 - 1617? Accademia dei Costanti de Seta (1965), pp.165 & 166.
1649 - 1660 Accademia dei Negligenti de Seta (1965), p.167.
1668 - 1678? Accademia dei Costanti de Seta (1965), p.167.
1756 - 1794 Accademia dei Pescatori Cratilidi de Seta (1965), pp.201-202.
1811 - 1817 Istituto Cosentino de Seta (1965), pp.203-204.
1817 - Accademia Cosentina de Seta (1965), p.204.
No website found, as of 2005, February 11.
Journals of the Society
Full Journal Title
1827 - 1969/1970
(v.1 - v.17);
1978/84 - 1978/86
(new ser. v.1. - v.2.)
Atti dell'Accademia Cosentina
de Seta (1965), p.210, indicates that the 1st volume was published in 1827 and the 5th in 1849. And de Seta (1965), p.212, indicates that the 8th volume was published in 1860.
The GBV German Union cat. record gives only the numeration beginning with the 14th volume (1929): 14.1929 - 15.1930; 16.1968/69 - 17.1969/70[?]; [N.S.] 1.1978/84(1984) - 2.1978/86(1988)[?]
[GBV German Union cat.]


Scholarly Societies Project